pont-chinois Index du Forum

pont-chinois
Forum du club d'échecs d'Issy-Les-Moulineaux

FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   MembresMembres   GroupesGroupes   S’enregistrerS’enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

Livres contre bases de données

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    pont-chinois Index du Forum -> pont-chinois -> littérature échiquéenne
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
BZH92
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Sam 11 Aoû - 13:12 (2018)    Sujet du message: Livres contre bases de données Répondre en citant

Un point de vue intéressant du GMI COLOVIC dans sa news letter de cette semaine sur les avantages et inconvénients de l'apprentissage à l'ancienne via les livres ou via l'informatique.

Publicité

MessagePosté le: Sam 11 Aoû - 13:12 (2018)    Sujet du message: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
BZH92
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Sam 11 Aoû - 13:13 (2018)    Sujet du message: Livres contre bases de données Répondre en citant

I am often asked how to successfully combine the "good old" traditional chess study with books with the modern approach of using databases and engines.
First I would like to address one important difference between them. Please bear in mind that this is a personal issue I noticed, though I have a feeling that it may be more common than it may appear.
The modern way to study chess with a computer, database and engine is undoubtedly very efficient, but I have discovered that this efficiency somehow puts pressure on me to be more productive. I have the uneasy feeling of being rushed when working with these tools because I know my time is limited and I know that the engine is always right so at some level I know that if I just follow the engine and I cover as many lines or games as possible then I could do more work. The problem here lies in the fact that this work is superficial even though the moves would be the best ones. The superficiality comes from the fact that in this case I have not applied myself enough during the process of analysis for the work to have an actual impact on my chess understanding.
The ability to cover as much material as possible (even though in a superficial way) makes it even more difficult to force myself away from the computer. Perhaps a sign of the times, when everybody is "busy, busy, busy", this type of work does have the hypnotic effect of keeping me in front of the screen even though I very well know that I will do a much more profound work if I just take a chess board.
Working with books has always been a very pleasurable activity. I would take a book and go over the games in it on a physical board. The prevailing feeling here is the one of tranquility because I know that there is no point in rushing over the game as I won't understand anything then. I know that I will have to take my time and actually apply my brain in order to grasp the ideas behind the moves. I always fondly remember the months I spent at the end of 2004 and the beginning of 2005 when I was studying Capablanca's games for at least 7-8 hours a day! I had the time to do that back then!
It is clear that the "good old" study with books is much more pertinent to better chess understanding. But who has the time to dedicate it to book study when there are so many new games being played every day, novelties are discovered every moment, new videos appear every hour, and the news to read are incessant...?
How do you then combine the gravitational pull of the computer screen with the pensive attraction of the books?
Ideally (and I know this is very difficult!), you would be analysing the games from the book, trying to figure out everything yourself and only after finishing with this process will you turn to the engine to check the moments you weren't sure about. You can also check your own conclusions and the lines you calculated. This is what I did with Capablanca's games. (Remember, I had the time then.)
In the real world, with limited time for chess, I'm afraid you have to make a conscious choice. I know the choice will mostly be in favour of the digital, after all modern culture pushes us in that direction. Still, if you can, make an effort to open a book. Your brain will thank you for it!

Contenu Sponsorisé

MessagePosté le: Aujourd’hui à 11:45 (2018)    Sujet du message: Livres contre bases de données

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    pont-chinois Index du Forum -> pont-chinois -> littérature échiquéenne Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 2 Heures
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Index | Panneau d’administration | faire son forum | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation